Wednesday, May 26, 2010

stitching of a different kind...

WARNING DISTURBING PHOTO AHEAD!
another busy week has passed, i feel even busier since i stopped work but am loving the freedom of being at home. one of the main reasons i decided to put a hold on my teaching career was the guilt you feel if you have to take a sick day or sending your children to school when you know that they need a day at home. being a stay at home mum means that the pressure is of mister moo, he hardly has to do anything anymore which means that he is less grumpy and can enjoy his afternoons and weekends more. the weekend gone by was wonderful, i managed to get rid of quite a lot of kids toys and clothing at a car boot sale the my sister organised in her church grounds and then Sunday was spent at the markets selling my itty bitty and pretty products along side my market buddy Renata. it was a wonderful day with lots of marching bands, vintage car displays and other fun things to attract the crowds. i forgot my camera but Renata will post about it on her blog if you are interested to see what the day looked like.
anyhow the weekend was wonderful but ended with a bang, or should i say bump... my gorgeous little Claudia tripped up on her own feet and fell head first onto the arch way to our lounge room and cut a wound on her forehead right down to the BONE!!!! basically 20kgs fell without a break onto a metal edge (metal brace under the plaster), we knew it was a trip to the hospital as soon as she hit.
she was so brave, hardly any tears, lots of blood but we reduced the swelling by keeping ice on her gash for the half hour drive into the hospital. as soon as we reached emergency they put cream on her arms to numb the spot where the needle would go to put her under. then we had to wait...2 hours later a doctor took us to another room to inspect the wound...my heart nearly jumped out of my chest when the bandage came off, the gash had opened up so much in those 2 hours and we could actually see her SKULL!!! it might not seem that big but when you can see bone you start to freak...
Claudia didn't cry one bit as the doctor inspected it. he decided he could fix it with steristrips instead of stitching. he was not 100% sure so he decided to get the opinion of the doctor in charge. 1 hour later the doctor came back and told us that the chief doctor was too busy to come for an opinion and so he was going ahead with the steristrips. i told him i thought it needed stitches but he assured me that steristrips are the preferred measure and he proceeded to do a very bad job of 'stitching' up my baby. first he cleaned the wound then he began to put the strips on..i recommended that he shave her hair line (as they had done for her other head injury) but he said there was no need... you guessed it, the strip wouldn't stick to the hair and he had to PULL IT OFF my poor child's head and proceed to cut away the hair, once again i said he could shave if he wished but he went ahead with cutting, snipping fine hairs INTO her wound! by this stage i was getting angry and wishing that i was the one performing the procedure. so then i suggested he clean the wound again of any fine hairs and he popped the 3 strips on then realised that he had to take the backing off but of course they are overlapped by each other so he had to pry each cover off basically pulling at the wound and making my little one whimper as the pulling hurt. i had to look away as his incompetence was really getting to me.
anyhow we finally got out of there 4 hours after we arrived with me feeling like the wrong procedure had taken place.
i have a photo below of the wound so don't look if you are squeamish.
feeling rather worried about his technique i took Claudia to our GP yesterday (2 days after the event because she wasn't there on Monday) and showed her that photo..she was of the impression that it need stitches and then was annoyed at how he used the strips. anyhow we both came to the conclusion that her scar will be on the hair line and that there are products available that reduce the look of scars. so my little love now has a scar on both sides of her forehead, one above her top lip and one under her arm. my dad says she can boast later in life and say the scars are from when her horns were removed!
sorry for such a long post but i treat my blog as an online diary and it will be good for us to look back on this in years to come...
i am sure there are many of you with children just like Claudia, she is one brave, tough little character with the most gumption out of all my girls. i just love her to pieces, i love her more and more each day, some days i think my heart will burst from so much love. i am actually crying as i write these words because lately i have been feeling so blessed to have what i have and i get sad to think that there are people in my life who may never experience this feeling. i just have to trust that God has a plan for us all.
now if i had still been teaching, this sort of thing would have sent me into a depression as i would have had to have days off. as it was, i kept the two older ones home on Monday as we didn't get home from the hospital till after 11pm. they slept in till 10am! unheard of :) and then i kept my little Claudia home yesterday and took her to the doctor for a second opinion...no guilt what so ever.
ok enough from me, i am having a day to myself...with a bit of house work thrown in...
xxxrosey

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh you poor things ! How scary for you all , I'm glad it is ok now .
Enjoy your home time today .

Soggibottom said...

Ah !

Bless her....
Aw...want to cuddle her.... she needs to visit Soggibottom ... lots of bear parties and places to visit..... your babies are so beautiful, GET WELL SOON and lots of love from Soggibottom. and AMIE SOTO BLOSSOM and the rest of the mob
X X X X X X X XX X X X XX

sewfunky said...

poor wee thing... hugs to her and to you.

A Bite of Country Cupcakes said...

Yikes!!!! Poor baby girl!
And what a fricken Useless doctor!
Why do they choose these methods and then proceed to Muck them up!
Hope she recovers well and glad to hear you are a Happy wife and Mumma!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Ouch... that had to hurt!! Poor Claudia - I hope she is back to her usual self now with an added bonus of a big bandage to boast about.
Poor Rosey too. You must feel exhausted with all the worry and the incompetent doctor to top it off. Some crafting today will be a pick-me-up.
Big hugs ~ Kerryanne

Julia said...

Oh my gosh! You have one brave little girl! One of my daughters had stitches right between her eyes just above the bridge of her nose. There is a scar, but it isn't so bad. Of course, she's 31 years old now. One of my grands cracked her skull! That was scary, but she did great!
I will say some prayers for your beautiful little lady and for you!
That doctor has a lot to learn!

I see the bridge! said...

Oh poor Claudia, yes that did need to be stitched, they can still do it if it isn't healing...you know. It is called delayed primary closure...see it has a name so they do it often....what a terrible Doctor...what you needed was a Nurse to be in there too...surely she would have set him straight....you know you always have the right to ask for a second opinion....about anything...be brave...he would have learned a valuable lesson...the patient is always right!
Glad she was a brave girl and hope she is feeling better...
Kiss Noises Linda

Anonymous said...

Oh My poor thing.I saw the pic on my page and had to run over to see what happened.Looks nasty,but Im sure soon it will be healed she may have a bit of a scar.I hope this doesnt cause her to get headaches shes much to young for that.Give her a hug Rosey for me!

Casey said...

I want to cry :( poor thing, that really looks ouchy!! My Lizzy is clutzy too, luckily we haven't had any major injuries that have needed hospital visits. I was getting pissed off about that doctor while reading, what a dumbass, wow.

Anna Rosa Designs said...

Hi Rosey,
I'm sure when our Babes are hurt it bothers us more than them.

Ah, Dr's, Don't they know "Mother's know best" and they should listen to our advice! lol

Sounds like you need to kick up your heels and craft for the day.
Hugs,
Anna

nart said...

Wow. That little girl has some guts doesn't she. I'm the sort that if I cut myself badly I either cry for a very long time or I faint. I am le woose.

She is so brave and so full of energy, and she's so smart and I love love love that hair.

I hope that adorable girl heals up quickly and doesn't repeat this incident, for your sake and hers.

xnata

ps- I will post about our last market trip soon I promise.

babalisme said...

Claudia, my dear!! Oh, let me kiss the booboo away. smooochies.

Your girls are so brave, this is the second time I saw one of them in hospital but they rarely look sad, in bad moods, or just terrible. They look perfectly angelic, hurt or not.

Hugs to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Poor Claudia. I know just how frightening it can be when your child has a head injury, thank goodness there was no fracture involved. Bless her heart, she really is a brave one isn't she? How is she feeling today? And how are you holding up, mama? Must have been awful for you. Kisses and hugs and all my love.

xoxo

Julie said...

Oh my god. Poor little Claudia. Such a brave girl. Reminds me of Chloe when the top of her finger came clean off.
Saw the pics of your market stall. So proud of all you have achieved. Any time you need help selling your wares - let me know
Love ya Jules

WendyCarole said...

poor wee thing! Sending hugs to Claudia

Anonymous said...

That does look nasty in the photo. I am sure with blood gishing it had an even more dramatic effect.
The wait time in emergency rooms is ridiculous. And for a head injury on a child- I would be making lots of noise. I hope you do complain to the hospital administration about the quality of care, the wait time, and the fact that another Dr. was "too busy" to give an opinion.
However, I have seen worse wounds heal up with minimal scarring, so take proper care of it as it heals. I like the line about "horns removed."

Saw the photos of your booth.
Not all weeks will be high grossing, but use every week as a learning period. You have wonderful items, displayed well.

Unknown said...

oh my poor Cherry Liqueur, what a brave little chicken. I've been crying today too and again right now, cause I think I'm destined to be one of those people who will never know the love you experience for your own child. :-(

Just gotta love dad's sense of humour... horns ha ha ha. Love and miss you. Pray for a miracle for me please.